- On: 18 Apr 2022
- Written by SuzannaW
If you’re like most people today – you constantly go, go, go. Even when we were in lockdown, most people didn’t know how to slow down. They felt like they had to keep going or they weren’t being productive. What if the opposite were true? What if you slowed down and enjoyed life? You may be surprised to learn you can be more productive by slowing down, plus you get the enjoyment of savoring life’s wonderful moments.
So how do you slow down in our fast-paced world? Here are 5 simple ways.
- Create a schedule and include downtime. Some of us just can’t slow down because we think we always need to be on a schedule. If that sounds like you, make a schedule and pencil in downtime. Even if it’s 15 to 20 minutes a day – take it. As you learn how to enjoy those quiet moments, expand the time you spend doing nothing and enjoy it.Journal
- Journaling is downtime. It’s time to reflect on yourself, your mind, and what you do and don’t like right now. You can journal your feelings, journal about your day, or start a gratitude journal and focus on the positives. The key is that you sit down, unwind, and focus on yourself even if it’s only for a few minutes. Enjoy every second that you’re sitting down and giving yourself time to ‘just be.’
- Take a social media break Do you find yourself comparing yourself to others on social media? Not only is that draining, but it’s a waste of time. It takes time away from you learning to enjoy your life and what you’ve created. Instead, set an hour or two a day and declare it ‘no social media time.’ Instead, go outside, take a walk, call a friend, or meditate, enjoying what you have in front of you.
- Learn to say ‘no’ It’s probably the hardest word in most women’s vocabulary, but it’s necessary. You don’t have to do everything. You have the right to say ‘no.’ The next time someone asks you to do something, stop and think if it will fill you up or make you more crazed than you already feel. If you feel like it will make you more chaotic, say ‘no’ and feel good about it – after all you’re honoring yourself.
- Play soothing music If you can’t slow yourself down, consider playing soothing music while you run around. You may find that you naturally slow down and unwind, wanting downtime just by listening to the calming music. It calms your nerves and helps you recenter your mind, allowing you to slow down and enjoy what’s in front of you instead of hustling.
Take the time to enjoy life. We all learned the hard way how fragile life is the last few years. Now it’s time to not jump back into the fast-paced life you had before, but to enjoy life. Take note of every detail in your life, savor in it and enjoy what’s in front of you without always trying to hustle past it.
“The human body has been designed to resist an infinite number of changes and attacks brought about by its environment. The secret of good health lies in successful adjustment to changing stresses on the body.” – Harry J. Johnson
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. The Green Naturopath takes no responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement or lifestyle program.